Friday, June 6, 2008

Class proposal

If I were teaching a class, and had the opportunity to use any kind of technology, I'd choose to conduct a class on Photoshop. This would be an illustration class, with some character design thrown in. It would be open to students interested in those subjects, but the students would be required to have some artistic and anatomical knowledge. (I'd say there would be an entrance requirment, but that would just seem unfair.) We would use laptops, preferably, so that students could take their work home with them, and a decent version of Photoshop, with the ability to download different brushes. We would also need tablets.

As the teacher, I would do all the projects, not just assign them. I'd probably start off basic, scanning in drawings and learning layers, and using the multiply function to cel-color simple stuff, and then move to more complicated things, like preliminary character designs and how to color in more intricate and complicated ways, probably using this tutorial (http://jdillon82.deviantart.com/art/Mini-Painting-Tutorial-58099272), since it's fast and relatively easy. Here's an example of one that I did with that tutorial. (http://wolfborne.deviantart.com/art/Collapse-The-Light-87715538) Sorry, no HTML. I'll add it later.

The final product would be to either design a satisfactory character sheet, or to work on either one picture or a series of pictures that would qualify as pretty damn good. Maybe not quite as crazy as this one (http://jdillon82.deviantart.com/art/I-Shall-Face-Damnation-for-You-62311510), since that would take an extremely long time, but certainly enough to show their skills and show that they are competent. It would be a very labor-intensive class, so anyone who took it would have to be willing to work, but the guidelines on projects would be open enough to allow a significant amount of creativity.

Wow, I'd really love to teach a class like that...

No comments: