http://supersonicxhitt.deviantart.com/art/36-Precious-Treasure-ribbons-79990924
Can you tell what this is? Anyone?
No?
I can't explain it either. I got the impression from the artist's description (Rendered siezure-inducingly hard to read by awful misspellings and obnoxious anime smilies) that it's supposed to be a Sonic fan character or something equally cracked-out.
The reason I post this is that I discovered it on the front page in the "popular art" section of DeviantArt.
I cannot fathom why this would be in the popular section. Is it because it's sparklydesukawaii? Is it because it's a Sonic fan character? Or did people just favorite it because they can't tell what it is but it looks good in those ruffly panty-things?
I'm well aware that DeviantArt is turning into a vacuous pit of suck, but even this is substandard for the "popular" category. The lineart on the picture is shaky at best. The coloring isn't very appealing, and the composition is absolutely appalling. The content of the picture itself isn't great, either. It looks like one of those engravings that renaissance artists of did of rhinos after merely reading a description of the animal, except this artist has never actually seen a human being and is drawing from the description given to her by her online friend who claims to live in Japan, but who probably lives in the vents of an office building. There isn't room in the character's head for eyes that big, and it doesn't seem to have a nose, but the poor mutant will soon die, fotunately, since its mouth isn't big enough for it to actually ingest food. I can see why it's lying down, since the weight of its gigantic head would snap it in two if it tried to stand. It doesn't appear to have bones either, since if it did, it would actually have shoulders, and that might interfere with its obvious appeal.
You know, in case you find the mutant bastard offspring of a hedgehog, a bad anime character, and a pot of spagetti really appealing.
I should mention that I respect this artist's right to post what she has drawn. But I also support my right to critique her work. Admittedly, I haven't done a polite job of doing that, but things stick better if you make it memorable.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment