Sunday, May 18, 2008

Why?

Another shallow post about crappy art. The gas prices thing pretty much wore out the important things I had to say.

http://owlgem.deviantart.com/art/kiss-84421064

I know DeviantArt is a vacuous pit of suck, but this?
It's not very good, is it? I mean, along with the brain-scarringly weird content. If almost anyone else had posted something like that, I can guarantee that people would have been completely weirded out. But because it's this particular artist, she's getting dozens of comments about how sexy it is and how she's wonderful at art and oooookawaiishinydesudesu. The only reason she has so many butt-licking little fans is because she used to post stupid Harry Potter fanart (Snape. Picking his nose. Stay classy, Gemma.) and ugly wormy hermaphrodite snake-centaur things. But that was before she changed accounts because people who had a grain of sense were giving her honest critiques and telling her how she could improve. How did she respond to that? "WAAAAH PISS OFF I KNOW HOW TO DRAWWWWW AND YOU SUCK AT ART YOU DARN PROFESSIONAL ILLUSTRATOR YOU!"
The greatest of these failures may have been when she tried joining ConceptArt, an online art community full of incredible artists, both professional and not, who are seeking honest critique and want to improve their art. She posted one picture for critique, but she evidently expected comments telling her how wonderful it was, because she was rather angry when people started to tell her how she could improve.

I would be wrong if I said she was a terrible artist. But I would be lying if I said I liked the style she uses or that she's a great artist. She has clearly shown little improvement or change in her technique since she was about twelve, The only change being that she fine-tuned her coloring techniques. Search up "Snapesnogger" or "Owlgem" to see the fail.

But maybe I should start drawing like that and whining whenever somebody tells me I'm not as good as I could be or they don't like my picture, because noseless hermaphrodite people-worms with giant square eyes and boys in bunny costumes making out with mouthfuls of tentacles clearly have something I don't.

Or maybe I should keep evolving my style, finding ways to make it better, studying anatomy, requesting critique from professionals, and constantly practicing art to improve myself.

Nah. I think I'll start drawing square-eyed noseless hermaphrodite bunny men with horns, snake tails, three fingers and no musculature.
I'll call him Fritz.

1 comment:

OwlyGem said...

well thats a little harsh dontcha think? :c i know i know, i was a prick, i can admit that. i was also unexperienced.

you can have your opinion of course, but i never like leaving people thinking that im a terrible person for some silly mistakes i made a couple of years ago. i try to right my wrongs, im just doing what i love, and so what if it isnt great, at least it makes me happy, dont you agree? :)