Friday, February 15, 2008

Sesame Street

The Stickiness Factor...It's fairly obvious what it is, isn't it? It's the thing that makes things stick in people's minds. It can be repetition, or just something interesting about a particular ad or preview or show.

Gladwell talks about Sesame Street. Ah, brings back my sweet, sweet childhood in the nineties.
Which sucked, by the way.
Sesame Street was really the first show to pander to children. It pioneered the concept of learning through television. The reason it actually worked was because it was interesting-it had cute little muppets, bright colors, and cookies! What's not to love?- and dumbed things down so that little kids could understand them enough to make it easier for them to learn similar lessons being taught in schools.

Another relic of my sixteen years-oh, archaic, I know-Old school Disney movies.
When I was little, I did not reside in reality.
I, little by little, created my own plane of existence.
Much of this was drawn from the faery stories introduced, retold, or invented by that wonderful little oasis in thought. I loved Alice in Wonderland. The Aristocats? The Jungle Book? Hercules? Damn skippy. Fantasia, the hardcore one with the flying horses? GOD, pure nectar. I loved it. (Except Snow White. I hated that one. Damn scary evil trees.)

These movies were, and still are, so popular among younger children because they have easy-to-understand plots, appealing characters, you name it. They stick because they pander to their audience. And it works really, really well. I still love watching some of the old Disney movies. The animation is beautiful. And I love Hercules. I saw it for the first time when I was living in Australia. I guess it had an impact. Disney needs to start doing more 2D movies.

On a sidenote- I nearly died when I saw the movie Enchanted. It was an okay movie, I'd probably watch it again. Mostly for the animation at the beginning. Oh, the animation...It was so PRETTY.

I am probably one of two people on this planet who freaked out about this. The other was sitting right beside me and practically drooling in my ear.

So, apparently, that's what makes the stickiness factor work on geeks like me.

Yeeeeah.

1 comment:

Miriam Hitchcock said...

haha, you spelled fairy the cool way ^_^

The weird thing is, I hear so much of people saying how Disney wasn't really that good blablablabla but... I dunno, I also loved that stuff. And I still do I think, though I don't often admit it.