Friday, April 4, 2008

Bush's War

I guess that's what they're calling it, now.

I really don't keep abreast of recent news, other than giggling at stupid comments on Fark every day or so. I don't really have an opinion on what should be happening right now over there. It seems like the war is a huge waste of money. It seems like the Iraqis don't want us there. Should we pull out now? Would that cause more chaos? I do know that the money being spent there right now is a completely ridiculous amount that could be going into other things. Maybe we should pull out most of the way and see how things develop.

In debate class a couple of days ago, there was a debate on this topic. Somebody said something along the lines of "We can't pull out now. They've already proven themselves completely incapable of creating a civilized government for themselves, so we have to do it for them."

I believe my opinion on that comment could be accurately portrayed in quite a rude way, but I'll go the more polite route...What that comment immediately brought to my mind was two things. One was my grandparents. The other was "The White Man's Burden". My grandparents because they're conservative Republican Catholic Bush-loving global-warming-deniers. And just about all the rest that comes with the territory. The White Man's Burden because I'm a loser geek who loves my AP U.S. History class--I mean, because of its definition. It was mostly practiced by Great Britain, a policy of Imperialism and expansion, and to "civilize and bring Christianity to all savages".
That's what it sounds like.
Britain's huge empire collapsed because they couldn't defend all the territories and annex new ones all at once, along with nosing into places they didn't really need to be and staying for far too long.

Need I say more?

No comments: