Thursday, April 3, 2008

Final thoughts

After reading "The Tipping Point", I have to say I really didn't enjoy it. At all. The writing style was just completely off-putting. It was like reading a particularly boring textbook. It could have been so much easier to read, even enjoyable, if you didn't have to work so hard to care. Blech. There were couple of parts that were interesting, but most of it seemed to be overstating the obvious again and again...And now it's over, and I'm happy.

I'm currently reading a few books, but what stands out most is one that I'm re-reading, actually. For the third time, if that gives any idea of how good it is. The Anubis Gates. It's about crazy time travel, mind-bending poetry coming from nowhere, weird Egyptian cults, demons, Anubis-werejackals, 17th-century London, and murder most foul. Oh, and an insane clown on stilts who "modifies" people in his creepy hideout near Rotherhithe sewage works so that they can join his screwed-up beggar court. The author is Tim Powers, and he's done a lot of other really great ones, too. Along with the stories being really weird and interesting, he's just a great writer. One book's got Thomas Edison, horrible mutilations, and people who snort ghosts like crack cocaine. Another one has talking zombie heads made of fungus growing on the island of the fountain of youth. It's got pirates, too. Dead ones.
I dearly love talking fungus heads. No joke.

2 comments:

[ zach ] said...

Hmm, this guy seems like a really interesting writer (and a bizarre enough one to keep my interest). If I were to read one of his books, is there any particular one that I should start with..? (Also, judging by this post, you might like The Raw Shark Texts, which I posted about recently: http://zzmig.blogspot.com/2008/04/reading-reflection-and-response.html)

Ego Brain said...

Jebus, I was so happy when I finished The Tipping Point!