This isn't a post for class. I figured that since I have a blog, I might as well use it.
It's really strange to look at someone's art and characters and realize that you've somehow influenced them so much that 1 out of any 3 of their characters strongly resemble one of yours (the same one, repeatedly). So much so, in fact, that it borders on plagiarism, whether intentionally or not. And when you look at something they just posted that has a background that looks very much like a multiplied version of something you drew a very long time ago, you really begin to wonder.
I don't quite understand how this kind of thing happens to me. I don't consider myself the kind of person anyone would look up to. I don't consider myself someone anyone should look up to, necessarily. Really, why? I'm not very nice. I'm not exactly the peak of talent. I'm not confident at all. I'm really a rather rude, perverse, cynical person. I'm not putting myself down in any way. I'm fairly happy with my smug, perverted, rude, sarcastic self, but that is, without question, what I am.
And why would somebody want to be like that if they could be different, or even better? What's the point of having a bunch characters that look almost exactly like one character who isn't even yours to begin with? Especially when the person you're plagiarizing the idea from intends to publish, and you would never be able to use them? Why copy old art that's really substandard? I don't understand. Some people seem to have a need to deify other people, and for some reason think it's just dandy to use the other person's style and ideas. Doing that just makes people think you're too unimaginative to come up with your own ideas. Or am I wrong somehow? I must be, because all the people who do this, and fanart, are sure as hell a lot more popular than I am.
This person I'm talking about...I'm not really mad at her. I'm just befuddled. I can't do anything. For one thing, no one would believe me, or even care. For another, I really do like her. She's a genuinely nice person, and a talented artist, but she uses other people's ideas, copies their styles, their characters. You can't trust someone who does that. The character of mine she's copied, time and time again, has changed a lot since she last heard, but she seems stuck on the idea. In here gallery are at least three characters who look suspiciously similar to his older design, the foul, cliche, outdated one. One's just a female version. The two others are male with slight variations and given dumb, wapanese names, and equally irritating pet-things with MEGIK PWRZ.
Honestly?
Get your own mind, and get off my rude, cynical lawn.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment