As I sat here in front of my computer this afternoon, making lame fake CD covers for lame fake bands on Photoshop and contemplating my piece-of-crap Wacom tablet, it occurred to me that days like this are altogether too nice, and prevent one from thinking about anything much at all.
After that, nothing else occurred to me for a while, thus proving my theory.
I then went out and walked my three eighty-pound greyhounds, then came back, and finished my lame fake CD cover.
Then I got on here and tried to think of something creative and original to write about, but failed, upon realizing that I have already complained about forwards, boring books, crappy art, furries, delusional fangirls, loud car commercials, and stupid people. And that the niceness of the day outside really was preventing the thinking process, because for some reason, it just makes it hard to care. And, shockingly, I could think of nothing else to complain about. So I decided instead that I must discuss something that would be deeply interesting and intellectually involved.
Thus arriving at comic books.
Or rather, one author thereof in particular. Mike Mignola. Author and artist of the Hellboy books, and originator of the B.P.R.D. series. And the art is wonderful. Beautifully dark and two-dimensional while somehow retaining motion. And the content is so well-suited to the dark style that it makes the entire thing stick together in one large conglomeration of awesome. You'd have to see it to understand. Really.
A movie based on the Hellboy books came out a couple of years ago. I own it, but I can't be bothered to go upstairs and locate it. The director is Guillermo Del Toro, who also did Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage, unless I am mistaken. He did a fairly good job of replicating the exaggerated shadows and dark atmosphere of the books, but it would be impossible to completely reproduce it. The movie is nearly as good as the books, complete with Nazis, Rasputin, clockwork assassins, slimy four-eyed self-resurrecting monsters, underground mausoleum-labyrinths full of said monsters, and giant, unidentifiable, tentacled, mollusk-frilled world-destroying monsters called the Ogdru Jahad.
Of course, you have to read the Hellboy books as well to get the full impact, but it was pretty well-done, considering. I hear there's a second movie coming out. I saw the trailer. It had a winged mass covered in eyes and twisted monsters.
I have high hopes for this movie. Loves me some dark twisted scariness.
This is normal. Really. I'm not being a nerd.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment